Tuesday 20 January 2015

Christian's no phone day

Addictions
My definition to an addiction: Something you cant get enough of.
Types of addictions
1: Drugs
2: Video Games
3: Alcohol
Am i addicted to something? Yes

Summary#1 http://search.proquest.com/docview/213646952/BB69231520DF465APQ/1?accountid=44331
This article helps us understand that technology is really useful in communication. As the telephone is really useful so are many other things like e-mail and the internet but does it really help communication? With today’s technology people are starting to avoid a conversation in person so they will then turn to text message internet or call. Some people that even work in an office would rather call outside of office hours to just leave the person there part of a conversation via voice mail. Some people also have to look were communication is taking some of us as some people will push away their social life to play games or go on Facebook etc. also some people will text their parents what they want for supper (or something like that) when their parents are downstairs and that is how communication technology keeps getting in the way of communication!


Response: My response on this article is that everything they say in it is true that communication technology is really helpful but it is truly destroying communication like that some people will text their parents what they want for supper or that people push away their social life just for technology.

Summary#2 http://search.proquest.com/docview/385802071/B80A8D623C8641C8PQ/1?accountid=44331
They taught the first personal cellular phone wasn’t going to come out until the 23rd century but the first was unveiled in 1989 in press conference’s all around the world the phone was a flip phone from Motorola. But it had a huge price tag of $5,495. Mark Lukowski stated “This new personal telephone means for the first time in cellular history users who want to stay on the move and continually in touch do not have to carry around a cumbersome telephone piece or package," It provided 75 minutes of talking time and 30 hours of standby time before it needed recharging it weighed 340 grams and was measured 262 cubic meters, it also took 10 hours to recharge. It could be charged 200-500 times. In the box it came with the standard battery the slim line battery, battery recharger and an adapter to plug the phone into an automobile cigarette lighter. A converter to plug it into a facsimile machine is also available.
Response: I found it interesting that how expensive the phones were and that they taught that the first personal cellular phone wasn’t going to be out till the 23rd century. 

Similar experiment https://withoutmedia.wordpress.com/
Some students were asked how they felt on the day.
1:“Although I started the day feeling good, I noticed my mood started to change around noon. I started to feel isolated and lonely. I received several phone calls that I could not answer,by 2:00 pm. I began to feel the urgent need to check my email, and even thought of a million ideas of why I had to. I felt like a person on a deserted island…. I noticed physically, that I began to fidget, as if I was addicted to my iPod and other media devices, and maybe I am.”
2:“Texting and IM-ing my friends gives me a constant feeling of comfort,when I did not have those two luxuries, I felt quite alone and secluded from my life. Although I go to a school with thousands of students, the fact that I was not able to communicate with anyone via technology was almost unbearable.”
3:“Although I will admit I do not actively keep up with breaking news every day I do get a lot of information on a daily basis through social networking, text messaging, and websites such as Gmail, where it does have headlines on the homepage. It is very important to me to have some sense of what is going on in the world on a daily basis, but I also focus in on issues that I do care about, and I keep up with that particular issues progress. For example, the Equal Rights campaign, or local and global environmental organizations, whose progress I follow via Twitter, Facebook or their websites.”
4:”Texting and Facebook allow me to make plans to meet up and act socially, whereas without these two devices I had no easy way of making plans unless I happened to run into the person I wanted to do something with.” 
5:“It was really hard for me to go without listening to my iPod during the day because it’s kind of my way to zone out of everything and everyone when I walk to class. It gets my mind right. Listening to music before I go to class or take an exam is my way of getting amped up like a football player before a game. It sounds weird but music really helps to set my mood or fix my mood and without it I had to rely on other people to keep me in a good mood,”

Graph (Answer only for D- 3 or more.)
Preview of your graph
Technology Use Survey Results 2014 Semester 1
1.        How many communication devices do you own (computers, phones, tablets, and gaming systems)?
a.        0
b.        1
c.        2
d.        3 or more
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
A-0
A-0
A-1
A-0
B-1
B-2
B-1
B-1
C-7
C-4
C-5
C-6
D-16
D-18
D-19
D-11
2.        How old were you when you got your first phone, tablet, iPod, or personal use computer? __8____
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
Age 7-3
Age 8-1
Age 6-1
Age 8-2
Age 8-1
Age 9-4
Age 7-3
Age 9-1
Age 9-3
Age 10-3
Age 9-2
Age 10-1
Age 10-2
Age 11-4
Age 10-3
Age 11-3
Age 11-6
Age 12-8
Age 11-3
Age 12-3
Age 12-2
Age 13-4

Age 13-6
Age 13-6


Age 14-1



Age 16-1



Age 8-2



Age 9-1

3.        How many phones have you had?
a.        0
b.        1
c.        2
d.        3 or more
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
A-2
A-2
A-1
A-1
B-8
B-3
B-2
B-1
C-5
C-16
C-8
C-5
D-8
D-8
D-15
D-11

4.        How many social networks are you a part of?
a.        0
b.        1
c.        2
d.        3 or more
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
A-0
A-0
A-3
A-0
B-5
B-0
B-0
B-1
C-6
C-5
C-5
C-5
D-13
D-19
D-18
D-12







5.        Is your main form of communication in your relationships (family, significant other, and friends) technology based? (Text, email, social media, email, etc.)
a.        Yes
b.        No
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
Yes-11
Yes-10
Yes-12
Yes-6
No-10
No-14
No-13
No-12

6.        Do you find it more comfortable to have a conversation through text messaging rather than a face to face conversation?         
a.        Yes
b.        No
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
Yes-13
Yes-9
Yes-11
Yes-2
No-10
No-15
No-14
No-16

7.        How reliant are you on your communication device for staying in contact with people and what is going on in the world?
a.        Not really
b.        Somewhat
c.        Mostly
d.        Very
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
A-3
A-2
A-3
A-1
B-10
B-9
B-10
B-5
C-5
C-8
C-9
C-10
D-6
D-5
D-4
D-2

8.        Where do you get your news?
a.        People
b.        Technology (cell phone apps, social media, etc.)
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
A-5
A-2
A-
A-2
B-17
B-22
B-
B-16

9.        According to the following definition do you think you are addicted to technology?
Addiction- A habitual or compulsive involvement in an activity
a.        Yes
b.        No
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
Yes-11
Yes-9
Yes
Yes-13
No-12
No-15
No
No-5

10.     How confident are you that you could survive a day without technology?
a.        I do not feel confident
b.        I feel slightly confident
c.        I feel confident
d.        I feel very confident
Grade 9
Grade 10
Grade 11
Grade 12
A-3
A-5
A-
A-3
B-4
B-11
B-
B-3
C-10
C-3
C-
C-4
D-8
D-5
D-
D-8


Video Diary's
My written blog.
1. In first period I was in gym and I noticed that a lot of people's phones have kept the from working out.
2. When I was in the halls I noticed people would make no communication because they were on their phone.
3. In construction I noticed that people would be working then suddenly stop to check their phone.
4. I seen that some people would pretend to be on their phone to avoid communication.
5. I've also seen that when a teacher would be talking some people wouldn't care for what they had to say and just go on their phone.
6. I've seen that at lunch people would sit around a table and say absolutely nothing.
7. Around ten years ago their would be a lot of arguments about what the most popular food is or who scored the most goals in the NHL now I seen that people would just let google settle it.
8. Social media would take a lot of people away from learning at school.
9. With my day without my phone I noticed that my head isn't filled with useless information from the internet like someone famous has a new haircut or something like that.
10. A lot of people would just plug in their head phones at do no work at all.
11. A lot of the time I found my self reaching for my phone and then realizing it wasn't their phone.
12. The day has helped me realize that most of us are addicted to our phones.
 
My reflection of the day.
I felt like the day went okay to how I expected it to go. I expected myself to go straight to my phone by the end of 2nd period. I constantly went to get my phone out of my pocket but then to find it wasn't their. I felt like this day showed me that I was addicted to my phone. I seen most of peoples conversations started from looking at their phone. I felt somewhat annoyed that when I was sitting around my friends at lunch all they did was go on their phone and not even notice that their not communicating at all!


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment